Search Engine

Followers

Monday, August 22, 2011

Research integrity - Part 6

Doing a doctorate is never an easy feat. Just ask anyone who has done it or who is doing it. The task requires perseverance, hard work, consistency, diligence, discipline and many other virtues required to carry out a doctoral research. As such, it is a personal achievement to finish a doctorate research and write its thesis. Most people take between three to four years to complete their PhD. These are very meaningful years, full of memories for PhD candidates and serve as useful experience in the coming years, especially to those who continue their career in the academia.

Interestingly, we have also heard of those who undertook so-called online doctorate programmes which are not recognised. They would enrol in these online doctorate courses, pay the fees, write a few essays and the next thing you know, they have their doctorate done. How I wish things can be that easy. What is equally fascinating is that these people have no qualms to use their quickie PhDs before their names. Some of them are quite well-known: Motivators, businessmen, politicians, self-help gurus, artistes, etc.

I have the experience of encountering one of them some years back when I was still attached to IKIM. It was during tea break in one of the seminars that the institution organised. I was introduced to a famous (at that time) motivational speaker who always appeared on television and radio, and had a number of books and novels to his name. He was there as a guest of the programme. Truth be told, I have never heard of him before that. In any case, we sat down for a chat during the break over some kuih and teh tarik. I innocently asked him where he got his doctorate from. He casually replied, "United Kingdom." Hearing that, my interest piqued because I studied there. I then asked, "Really? Which university?" He uttered a university's name (which I can't recall now). In a rather confused voice, I said (again innocently), "Oh? I studied in the UK between 1992 and 1996. I have never heard of that university. Where is it located?" My questions began to rattle him, I guess. His face changed. I could sense he was not comfortable when he answered, "It's not in Britain. It's on one of the smaller islands under UK." Fortunately (for him) and unfortunately (for me), I was not able to dig deeper as a colleague interjected and changed the subject.

I felt suspicious because I have never heard of the university's name (to the extent that it is forgettable). He was also unable to name the island in which the university is supposed to be located on. I may not be an expert on the UK, but at least I would have heard of the name of the university. A couple of years after this interesting encounter, the media highlighted the issue of fake and unrecognised online PhD courses. This motivational speaker's name was one of those who was mentioned (albeit not directly).

I do not think that it is fair that there are those who cut corners by "purchasing" their PhD online. It cheapens the value of the doctorate degree. Genuine candidates have to struggle for years just to get the doctorate. They are exposed to conducting methodically-correct research, think critically, analyse accurately and conclude convincingly. They are trained to put forward hypotheses, test these hypotheses and prove and/or disprove these hypotheses. They have to present papers in international conferences, write academic papers for refereed journals and have to go through the viva voce session before being conferred their PhD. In short, they are being prepared to become true and genuine researchers. Those who "purchase" their PhD degrees are not only unethical and lack integrity, but at the end of the day, they are mainly imitators who may not even know how to formulate research questions, what more come out with a thesis.

These days, the number of PhD holders are growing. This, to me, is a positive sign. However, bogus PhD holders should not be allowed to be counted in this growing group.

No comments: