Search Engine

Followers

Monday, March 27, 2006

Tin Man's new lease of life

Organ donation has always been a tough issue to tackle. Since 1998, I've had my fair share of talks that I had to give to people across the country. All this while, my talks have been pretty academic, never one based on experience, that is until I met Fikri.

Fikri was going to sit for his PMR exam when I first met him last year at IJN. I was there to deliver my routine talk on organ donation. When I saw the boy, I was speechless. His determination to sit for the exam, his love of science, and his fight to live --- really humbled me.

It was then that I realised - truly realised - the importance of organ donation. I met Fikri again shortly after he sat for his PMR exam. That was many months ago, but I haven't seen him since, although his mother updates me on his progress. Alhamdulillah, Fikri got a new heart in December, and has recently been allowed to finally go home, after 7 months in IJN.

I hope to meet up with him soon. Fikri has been given a new lease of life. He, insya-Allah, will have a long future to look forward to. And I hope Fikri will continue to have that zest that kept him going all this while.

For us, let us consider the test that Fikri and his mother had to go through. If not for the heart donated to Fikri, he may still be dependent on IVAD (the so-called mechanical heart, giving Fikri the nickname "The Tin Man"). Let us put ourselves in Fikri's shoes. Would we be able to withstand the years of agony, of pain, of waiting, of knowing that today might be your last?

I have talked and written a lot on this issue. And I will keep on talking and writing about it. But at the same time, I want to translate my words (spoken or written) into action. I am an organ pledger. When the time comes and if it is fated, I would like to be a donor.

As stated by Sheikh Yusuf al-Qaradawi, on the issue of organ donation, it's better to donate your organs to a person who is in need, rather than let the organ be eaten by worms.

Wallahu'alam.

No comments: