Search Engine

Followers

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Two Double-Oh Eight

And so, 2008 has been ushered in.

I received several new year wishes over text message. Quite a few interesting and unique ones too. Here, I'd like to share my favourite four.

From a friend who's doing his PhD in Australia, Arsaili: "Welcome aboard to "Year 2008" airline! Passengers, pls b in seat now, hold tight as the flight will b leaving soon to New Year City! Enjoy ur flight! May Allah bless u."

A message my wife received from her colleague: "No sweet thoughts to forward. No cute graphics to send. Just a CARING HEART saying I remember U... Happy New Year."

This message came from a friend who studied in Japan. It's in Japanese and I haven't really a clue what it actually means. I have to make a point to ask him when I can: "Akemashite omedetou gozaimasu. Sakunen wa iroiro to osewaninari arigatou gozaimashita. Kotoshi mo hikitsuzuki yoroshiku onegaishimasu. Zulkefeli yori. Gantang heisei 20nen."

And my favourite message is one that I received from a 68-year old friend: "Today's exit marks the end of the old year taking with it episodes in our lives & heralds the birth of the new year either to continue from where we left or to tread on new avenues. Wishing u to cherish another promising year."

Well, I guess much can be said and written about the new year. And we should certainly take stock of 2007 while at the same time making new resolutions for 2008. Personally, I do not have any new year resolutions, simply because I believe that life itself is a process of continuous improvement. Nonetheless, instead of resolutions, I have a list of targets and aims that I wish to achieve and realise in 2008.

So, to all friends who frequent my humble blog, allow me to wish "a happy and prosperous year ahead."

No comments: