Search Engine

Followers

Monday, March 27, 2006

Of hailstones and golden rain

Remember the Malay adage "hujan batu di negeri sendiri, hujan emas di negeri orang"?

Realise how we often complain about how things are terrible and horrible here in our country?

Well, this is so often the case until and unless we see the state of affairs in other countries. I had the privilege to visit several countries in the past 3 years. Not counting the UK where I lived for 5 years, and not counting the countries where I stopped for transit (India, Italy), I have been to 2 North African countries (Algeria, Egypt) as well as the biggest Muslim country (Indonesia).

What I can say is that when you have been to these countries, you'll realise that we're indeed very lucky. Sure, we are not perfect. But that doesn't mean that we're in the pits. Things could be better, but it won't get better if we just complain.

I think once in a while we should take time out to count our blessings. Oft-times we only remember these blessings when we no longer have them.

Indonesia may be the biggest Muslim country. Algeria may be a country with a rich and colourful history. Egypt may be the cradle of civilisation. But believe you me, from where I'm standing, we are indeed more blessed compared to them.

Hailstones indeed...

No comments: