Search Engine

Followers

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Jury duty

As promised in my earlier post, I will blog down some thoughts on the Debat Perdana Integriti 2006, of which I was assigned the task of adjudicator. News, results and analysis of this debating competition can be obtained here.

Initially I was supposed to be jury for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds of the competition. At the end of the competition, aside from these rounds, I was also jury for the 5th round, semi-final and 3rd/4th placing. A bit tiring, but satisfying.

It was good to see the university students in action. The debates were mostly lively and some were even entertaining. I hope that this kind of quality could be improved in the future in other debating competitions.

This is my third tour of duty as jury. Previously, I was jury at the Debat Kefahaman Islam 2003 and Debat Kefahaman Islam 2004. This time around, things were different as the format used for the Debat Perdana Integriti 2006 is that of parliament-style. The first few rounds were quite easy to adjudicate, but as the competition progressed, competition was stiffer.

I think I was one of the few juries who spoke a lot. Juries were allowed to comment (a la Akademi Fantasia), and boy, did I have a lot to say.

That's what happened when you have an ex-debater as a jury in a debating competition.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

..lamanya tak masuk debat.

dulu masa sekolah menengah pernah jugak wakil mersing ke peringkat negeri dlam pertandingan debat bahasa inggeris. tapi kalah pd pusingan pertama dengan sekolah menegah sains kota tinggi

Izza Hani said...

go adlin eh...shaikh..tehehehe

Dr. Shaikh Mohd Saifuddeen said...

rotfl...
truth be told, akademi fantasia pun saya tak tgk