Search Engine

Followers

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Who watches the watch?

Sometimes I think I may be losing my mind. Consider the following that happened to me yesterday.

I had some errands to do around the vicinity of Bangsar yesterday afternoon. So, for the Zuhur prayer, I went to Masjid Abu Bakar As-Siddiq. As usual, I would take off my watch when performing the ablution or wudhu'. My habit would be to put the watch inside the left pocket of my trousers - which is also where I place all my keys and believe it or not, thumbdrives. After finishing with the ablution, I went to the prayer hall to perform the Zuhur prayer.

After that is done, I would usually put on my watch again. When I searched for my watch, I couldn't find it in my pocket. Of course, I didn't actually empty my pocket to search for it. That's why at that point in time I didn't think much about not finding my watch. I thought to myself, perhaps it got tangled with all the stuff in the pocket.

When I finished my errands in Bangsar, I went straight home. When I emptied my pocket, my watch is nowhere to be found. Keys - check. Thumbdrives - check. Watch - not there. I was puzzled. I could have sworn I took off my watch and put it in my pocket. I was quite down to say the least. That watch was special as it was a wedding gift from my seafaring brother.

Nonetheless, I didn't give up. Later that evening, I returned to my office to make sure everything is locked up. And I took that opportunity to check whether I actually left my watch at the office. And no watch to be found. Oh, well. I have more or less resigned to the fact that the watch that my brother gave me is now history.

This morning, as usual, I came to the office. After the usual routine of checking and replying my e-mails, glancing through the things I need to get done today, a few phone calls, and other mundane stuff, I suddenly caught a glimpse of something shiny on my table. Lo and behold, it's the watch that I was looking for all afternoon the day before.

I thought that I had my watch with me when I went to Bangsar. I rarely take off my watch at the office, but did I do that yesterday? And like I said before, I remembered taking off my watch when performing the ablution, but did that not happen? Was I imagining things? Am I becoming forgetful? Why didn't I see the watch when I returned to the office yesterday evening?

Really, there are not that many explanations as to what happened.

One, I took off my watch at the office before leaving for Bangsar. It was there on the table all along, and I probably just missed it when I searched for it yesterday evening. But if this was the case, why is it that I cannot shake the image of myself taking the watch off when performing the ablution? The image is so vivid and very real.

Two, I had my watch on with me all the time. I took it off at the masjid as I thought, but most probably misplaced it. That is why I couldn't find it in my pocket or in my office. But if this was the case, who - or what - put it on my table this morning?

Creepy, isn't it?

For possibility number one to happen, that would mean that I have been forgetful or perhaps imagining things. Maybe I forgot to distinguish between reality and fantasy. Having said that, I am worried that similar incidents like this may repeat itself again.

For possibility number two to take place, that would mean that I am reading and writing too many metaphysical stories. It sounded like a scene right out of The X-Files or a page out of a Stephen King's novel. I shudder the thought that what took place was actually this second possibility.

Perhaps, as a dear friend casually reminded me some time last week, I really should take a break. I have not been on holiday in the real sense of the word in years. Maybe that's all that I need.

But why can't I shake off that theme from The X-Files from my ears?

4 comments:

JIE said...

Salam Kelana,

Was there a ylang-ylang fragrance following u around while u were searching for the watch? :-)

Dr. Shaikh Mohd Saifuddeen said...

Salam Jie... None that I can recall. :)

Anonymous said...

orang kata...masjid bangsar tuh banyak jin Islam tinggal. agaknya depa yg p deliver balik jam tuh kat YI kut...walau apa pun penjelasannya...masih ada rezeki sbb jam tuh tak hilang.

ada jin tak yg bleh tolong kembalikan manuskript yg hilang? tolonnn...

Dr. Shaikh Mohd Saifuddeen said...

Enigma: Hanya Allah Yang Maha Mengetahui.

Ada manuskrip hilang ke?