Search Engine

Followers

Monday, July 10, 2006

The beautiful game

It was Pele who coined the phrase "the beautiful game" referring to football or soccer (or 'sowcah' to the Americans). I didn't watch a single game of the World Cup this time around because the timing is not right. I'm not a fanatic when it comes to football. Sure, I enjoy the game, but I don't make it my life's aim to make sure that I watch every game available on tv.

Even when I was in the UK, I've never went to see a live football match. I have been to the Ibrox Stadium (Glasgow Rangers' home stadium) as well as the Old Trafford (you-know-who's home turf), but never when a game is on. Even if I watch a game on tv, I don't shout or show my emotions. I may be the Spock of soccer.

Now that the World Cup is over, I hope that everyone will return to the reality of life. Football is a sport to be enjoyed, but I think too much football can lead to addiction. Sometimes I wonder how people can get up at 3 a.m. to watch a game, and yet find it extremely hard to get up at the same time for qiamulail.

Oh, well. Till the World Cup in South Africa in 2010...

I'd probably watch the games when Malaysia plays in the World Cup.

2 comments:

marisa said...

aarrgghhhzzz...

'perli nampak?'

hahahahaha

Dr. Shaikh Mohd Saifuddeen said...

uikz.. perli ke? abang sekadar teropong jer...