Search Engine

Followers

Sunday, May 27, 2007

I don't think I'll be retiring

Today's front page headline in Sunday Star posed a question that has been, more or less, in my head over the past few years. I know that some people say that I am worrying too much because I am only in my early 30s. But whether we like it or not, we have to plan for the future. After all, as the cliched saying goes, time flies.

Consider this. I am not a civil servant, so I don't have any pension benefit. All that I can rely on are my EPF and whatever savings that I may have stashed in various places such as Tabung Haji, ASB, takaful, mutual funds and personal accounts. And suffice to say, with the forecasted purchasing power 30 years down the line, what I can save will not translate into much. Also, don't forget that I have to think about my children's education. That will certainly be expensive in the years to come. At least, I have started saving for that.

Sometimes, when you think about the future, you'll feel that you haven't actually done enough preparation. At the end of the day, I feel that in all probability, I'll continue to work till I draw my last breath.

1 comment:

JIE said...

It's good that you're thinking all these, tapi jangan sampai BP naik hehehe :-)

Civil servants too shouldn't be complacent, looking at the escalating cost of living, getting a half-pay upon retirement pun mungkin cukup makan je. Medical benefits belum tentu will be there forever, if the liability gets too much for gomen, they might slash a portion of that.