Search Engine

Followers

Friday, May 25, 2007

Twists and turns

A school friend whom I haven't seen since 1991 took the trouble of finding my handphone's number, just to get my advice. I have to hand it to him for being resourceful in getting my number, and it was indeed good to meet him after all these years. But after hearing his story, I honestly didn't know what to say, nor do I have any sound advice to give.

He was married in the late 1990s, then got a divorce, because his wife cheated on him. He has two children from his first marriage, who are looked after by his ex-wife. After the divorce, things became very difficult for him. Fortunately, he was introduced to his current wife, who has managed to make him a much better person. They got married last year, and are expecting their first child soon.

You would think that's the end of the story. But like a twisted plot from a Latin telenovela, the story doesn't end there. My friend has, earlier this year, met a divorcee and fell for her. The feeling was mutual, according to him. But things got complicated soon after, with the lady playing hard to get, and him not willing to give up, and all that.

Anyway, after several weeks of - what I call - soap opera courting, they are finally getting married. But what irked me is the need to tie the knot in Thailand. If everyone is okay with the marriage, why Thailand?

What about the current wife? Apparently, she knows about this as the husband has told her. Of course she was devastated, but I got the impression that she is a strong woman who puts the family first. I can only pray that my friend's family life will get better, and not get more complicated as it already is. I have a nagging headache trying to understand his life story as it is. Really, it's like watching one of those Latin soaps with its unpredictable twists and turns.

Speaking of twists and turns, I got a kick reading this story posted at a friend's blog. I'm not sure whether the story is real or not, but it'd certainly make a good story for Cerekarama.

In any case, this story is a reminder for everyone - myself included - that marriage is not something that can be taken lightly. It takes two to tango. We cannot take each other for granted. We cannot just give and not receive. It is a two-way street. We cannot afford to overlook the other's needs and wants. Because it that happens, only Allah knows what comes next.

And as a blogger friend puts it, don't complicate matters. Perhaps that's the best advice for my school friend, and for us all.

No comments: