Search Engine

Followers

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Hamburg - Day 4

I am already back in Malaysia as I write this overdue posting on the final day in Hamburg. I was unable to post anything on the final day in Hamburg as the schedule was packed. I had to check out first thing in the morning before attending the conference. Check out time is 11 a.m. in Germany, and I would not be able to check out at that time as I would still be at the conference's venue. I was also unable to check out later since the room was already booked by someone else.

In any case, the final day of the conference went smoothly. Another four Malaysian speakers presented their working papers, including myself. In fact, I was the first to talk, and the topic given to me was "The Role of Diverse Stakeholders in the Malaysian Bioethical Discourse". My PhD supervisor, Professor Datin Dr. Azizan Baharuddin went up next, with her paper entitled "The Role of the Institute of Islamic Understanding Malaysia (IKIM) in the Malaysian Bioethical Discourse".This was then followed by Datin Dr. Lela Yasmin Mansor's paper on "The National Transplant Resource Centre (NTRC)". All three of us actually shared the same session with another speaker representing UNESCO who took the stage before me.


In the final session of the conference, my colleague from Yayasan Ilmuwan, Muhammad Zaki Ramli presented the preliminary findings of his master's study on "Exposure to Islamic Bioethics among Biomedical Science Students in Malaysia".


All in all, I would say that the conference was a success. The deliberations and discussions were lively. Kudos to the host, the Asien-Afrika-Institut (AAI) of the University of Hamburg for organising this timely conference. On a personal note, I hope that the networking established during the conference would continue and be strengthened. My sincerest thanks to the organiser and sponsors who made my trip to Hamburg possible.


After the conference, I had a bit of time before my flight later that evening. I accompanied Professor Azizan to the city centre as she wanted to find some souvenirs. After that, I went to one of the organisers' home, Dr. Jenny Schreiber, who was kind enough to invite the Malaysian delegation for barbecue. Unfortunately, because three of us had to rush to the airport to catch our flight, we were not able to stay for the barbecue as it was not ready when it was time for us to leave.


It was around this time that my former boss at IKIM who was also a speaker at the conference, Dato' Dr. Ismail Ibrahim received news of the passing of his mother-in-law in Kelantan. The news took everyone by surprise. Fortunately, Dato' and his wife, Datin Hanifat were able to make arrangements for an earlier flight the next morning. (More on this as written by Dato' Dr. Ismail in his blog).


My sincerest condolences to Datin Hanifat and her family for their loss. May Allah SWT bless the soul of her mother. Al-Fatihah.

No comments: