Search Engine

Followers

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Career jump

I have mentioned many times before that I would one day jump into the academic world on a full-time basis. I have even blogged about this briefly in the past, for instance in this post in 2008 and another in 2009.

Frankly, I have had many opportunities to make the jump earlier on. I was wooed by Universiti Sains Malaysia way back in 2002. I have been asked to join Universiti Malaya on many occasions before. I have also been linked to a yet-to-be established university since late last year. 

All this while, I have been somewhat reluctant to make the change in my career, primarily because I have yet to complete my doctorate. This has always been my "excuse" for not making the shift into the academia.

This year, however, I have submitted my thesis. I am now just waiting for my viva voce. Hopefully before the end of the year, I should get my doctorate, insya-Allah.

Since submitting my thesis for examination, I have been doing a lot of soul-searching. I asked myself what is it that I want in life. Research, publication and lecturing have been my life since I started working in 1996. I believe that the time is right for me to be truly involved in the academic world, not just being at its fringes and borders. I have been doing research and academic publication with research institutions. I have also been lecturing on a part-time basis.

I strongly feel that the time is right for me to fully move into the academic sphere.

Such a time for the move is actually getting closer by the day.

No comments: