Search Engine

Followers

Thursday, August 30, 2012

The move

I have been hinting about this for quite some time, and the latest was in the blog posting here. In fact, truth be told, this was something that I have been seriously contemplating on since I went to Makkah in 2010.

The time has now come for me to move on. I have decided to leave my cushy job as Executive Director at Yayasan Ilmuwan, and jump full time into the academic world as a full-time academic. Today is officially my last day at the Yayasan.

My supervisor, Professor Datin Dr. Azizan Baharuddin, has been egging me on to make the jump for the past five years, I think. I have been taking my time before finally deciding to do so this year. I have been hesitant, yes, but not because I do not fancy the challenge, but rather I have to make sure that my decision will not have negative impacts on my financial standing to support my family. As the main breadwinner of the family, I have to be very certain that this career jump is beneficial in the long run.

I started working in 1996, beginning with the Malaysian Strategic Research Centre (MSRC), for about one and a half years under Dr. Abdul Razak Abdullah Baginda. It was here that I learnt the basics to conducting research, thinking critically and analysing events. I also learnt a lot for being directlty under Professor Datin Dr. Kobkua Suwannathat-Pian, a renowned historian, at MSRC.

Then in 1998, I moved on to the Institute of Islamic Understanding Malaysia (IKIM) for nearly eight years. I had the benefit of learning from people like Professor Dato' Dr. Ismail Haji Ibrahim, Professor Datuk Dr. Abdul Monir Yaacob, Datuk Dr. Syed Ali Tawfik Al-Attas, Datuk Nik Mustapha Nik Hassan, Professor Dr. Abu Bakar Abdul Majeed and Encik Mazilan Musa - all of whom I consider my mentors and teachers in research and academic writing. I was also privileged to be able to work under the then-Chairman of IKIM, Tun Ahmad Sarji Abdul Hamid, under whom I learnt some useful management techniques which I apply to this day. It was also here that I was exposed to the media, both print and electronic, as well as to international and local conferences and seminars.

I then moved on to Yayasan Ilmuwan in December of 2005. In terms of pace, it is basically more relaxing as things were "quieter". My vow was to get the newly-formed organisation up and running. Now that things are running, I guess it is the best time as any for me to make my next move...

...which is to Universiti Malaya.

I guess anyone who knows me well enough should find this hardly surprising. Universiti Malaya has been very close to my heart for many years now. This was where I did my M.Sc. in history and philosophy of science. This is also where I am at the tail-end of my Ph.D. (waiting for my viva voce which should be very soon). This is also the place where I found my love in lecturing.

As such, I will be starting on the 3rd. of September as Consultant Expert at the Programme for Applied Sciences and Islamic Studies at the Academy of Islamic Studies of the university. I look forward to the new challenges ahead. I know things will not be easy. This will be my first time working at a fully public institution. This is also my first time working in a very big organisation. It is thrilling nonetheless, to just think about the challenges at the university.

I would like to sincerely thank a few people who have helped me in making this decision a reality: My supervisor, Professor Datin Dr. Azizan Baharuddin, for listening and advising me on making the move; my mentor, Professor Dato' Dr. Ismail Haji Ibrahim, for the encouragement; equally significant is the role played by the former Director of the Academy of Islamic Studies, Associate Professor Dr. Ruzman Md Noor, who was instrumental in facilitating my move; also, to the current Director, Professor Dato' Dr. Zulkifli Mohd Yusoff, for expediting the move; and finally, the Programme Coordinator, Professor Datin Dr. Noor Naemah Abdul Rahman, for her strong support.

Also, not forgetting my confidants who have provided me with much encouragement and assistance in making the decision.

This is indeed an exciting time for me. I look forward to what the future holds. 

No comments: