Search Engine

Followers

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Workaholism

I can't believe how hectic this week has been so far. Even my wife is going through a hectic week at her school to the extent that she exclaimed that this week is the busiest of the year so far.

Monday for me began with a 5-hour drive from Kulim to KL. We arrived around 3.30 p.m. and it was raining. I barely got any rest when we went out about 2 hours later to see our insurance and investment agent in Ampang. I had to renew my car's road tax and insurance. I don't have much time, so I asked my agent to do it for me. We also talked about a few other things mainly involving some trust fund investment. Got back around Maghrib, and I couldn't really sleep early that night. Instead, I find myself sitting in front of my laptop doing some work till around 1 a.m.

Tuesday wasn't any better. I had an early start. At 6.30 a.m., I sent my wife to her school before proceeding to IKIM to appear on Radio IKIM. I was there until around 11 a.m., seeing a few people discussing some projects they are helping me out with. From there, I rushed to Petronas' headquarters at KLCC to pick up 2 books I need for a research project. From there, I rushed to my wife's school to pick her up, and we went to the bank for some business that needed to be taken care of. Then I sent her home before returning to the office. There was a stack of papers on my desk that needed my attention. Also there were a number of people I needed to call. [This is where an assistant would come in handy - boss, you're reading this? Hehehe]. I got home at about 6.30 p.m. and after Maghrib, I left for Ampang again to meet up with my insurance agent to pick up my new road tax sticker. I reached home about 9.30 p.m. and after Isyak, immediately sat in front of my laptop again to finish off some articles I'm writing (or trying to write). I think I slept around 1 a.m.

Wednesday started of with a lot of phone calls. This was followed with a string of discussions on various matters pertaining to work with my boss. I missed my lunch (duh!). Basically, this day I was busy preparing some things needed to publish a series of books for my workplace. I also managed to steal some time to prepare for Thursday's recording for a new television programme produced by Habsah Hassan called "Say It, Malaysia." I'll be doing 2 episodes, and they'll be aired on RTM2. Also, I managed to squeeze in editing the first proof for the book Biodiversity, Biotechnology and Biosafety: An Islamic Perspective. The night is typical in that I sat in front of my trusted laptop to do some writing, and needless to say blogging. I also managed to update my presentation on organ donation that I'll be giving in Kuching early next month. I also received an invitation to write 3 articles for VISI which is IKIM's monthly magazine, and an invitation from the Integrity Institute of Malaysia (IIM) to be one of the juries for their debating competition for university students next week.

Sometimes I wonder how I manage myself with the various commitments that I have. From the look of things, I foresee next week will be equally hectic, not that I'm complaining. A friend called me a workaholic. I don't know about that, but I do get restless when there's nothing to do.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Abang Shaikh sebijik macam abah Zetty. Berhati-hatilah dengan work stress, abah Zetty dah masuk hospital sebabkan terlalu banyak work stress.

Jaga kesihatan tu sikit!

Dr. Shaikh Mohd Saifuddeen said...

Insya-Allah :)

kechi said...

tau takpe.. :)

Izza Hani said...

ehem...watch your deadlines ...ehehehe