Search Engine

Followers

Friday, September 01, 2006

An impromptu Merdeka poem

I begin to notice more white hair on my head.
Perhaps, it's time for me to reflect instead.
Not to be nostalgic nor melancholic.
But reflect we must, to be pragmatic.

Yesterday, Malaysia celebrated its 49th year as a free nation.
Today is my 10th anniversary as a working person.
Many things I've gone through, many things I've experienced.
Yet, I know there's still much more to learn.

I wish we continue to prosper.
I wish we do not ever bicker.
Let us move forward together.
Never let our differences be a bother.

Differences of opinion is not a strange thing.
It is even considered by al-Ghazali as a blessing.
But the differences should be handled with wisdom.
So that it'll never be a source for tantrums.

Set aside our personal agenda and glory.
The nation and its people must take priority.
Put aside differences and emerge united.
Lest we want to remain divided.

Independence must never be taken for granted.
It is a priceless gift that must never be wasted.
Instead we have to ensure that it is safeguarded.
So that we will never ever again be subjugated.

No comments: