Search Engine

Followers

Friday, April 28, 2006

This old man...

To quote Sam Beckett of the now-defunct series "Quantum Leap": Ooooh, boy!

This bridge thing is getting more and more interesting. Tun Dr Mahathir has just issued a 16-point rebuttal to Tan Sri Fuzi's statement on this controversial issue. Many websites and blogs carry this reply by Tun, but you can read it here from Bernama's website.

I have great admiration for the Tun. I've met him on several occasions while I was with my former organisation (though I know he only saw me as a face in the crowd). I like the things he says, because he doesn't beat around the bush. I'm quite certain that his intentions in this issue are: (i) to clear the water [pun intended, of course] on what transpired during his tenure as PM vis-a-vis the bridge; and (ii) to ensure that Malaysia does not gamble away its sovereignty. As everyone will surely remember, defending Malaysia's sovereignty from currency rogue traders was what he did during the Asian economic crisis in the late 1990s. It seems that he's doing the same again here, only this time, against a different kind of enemy.

As for Tan Sri Fuzi, although not close, I do know him personally, again in my previous capacity. I have known him since he was Director of IDFR, before being promoted to Deputy Sec-Gen, then Sec-Gen of the Foreign Ministry. The last time I met him was during a wedding several months ago which was a few days before he retired. He is a soft-spoken man, ever-obliging and very committed to his job. Unfortunately, in this case, I'm pretty sure he has become the cannon fodder who has to face the fire from the old man who doesn't mince his words.

Truth be told, this public exchange between the former PM and the current administration - while informative and eye-opening - is giving me the jitters. People will surely be divided on this issue, and I'm quite sure that this is just one of many issues that will crop out of the wormhole. We've already got the Proton - AP saga. Now we have the bridge over Selat Tebrau saga. In both issues, many people I speak to, both within and outwith the political circle, are silently behind the Tun. Those who seem to agree with the current PM are those who seem to have something to lose if they do otherwise.

I hope this issue be resolved quickly. I cannot stand the suspense of this real-life drama. It's not healthy for my heart. Let's just pray that when two elephants collide, us mouse-deer don't get squashed in between.

No comments: