Search Engine

Followers

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Googled

Google as we all know is a popular search engine for the Internet. As a result, the terms "googling" and "googled" are now quite commonplace. People use search engines such as Google to search for stuff.

One thing some people do is that they'd google other people. Say, for instance, you hava a new boss, but you haven't a clue as to who he or she really is. So, the more tech-savvy among the staffs would "google the boss." Another example is when a new neighbour just moved in next door, and you want to know who your neighbour is, so you'd "google the new neighbour."

Of course, as pointed out in a comic strip - "Zits" if I recall correctly - googling other people would sound disgusting to the less tech-savvy amongst us. And of course, not to mention googling also involves issues on privacy. How much of your life can people trace by googling you? Which part of your life is in the public domain of the Internet? Do you want people to know who you are by simply googling your name?

This blog entry comes about after reading Pinky's response to one of my previous posts. She asked me whether I've googled myself. The thought of googling myself left me giggling, which lead me to blogging about googling. [Phew! That's a mouthful]. And by the way, don't forget to visit Pinky's blog.

The answer to Pinky's question is "yes." I do google myself from time to time. Why, you may ask. It's only logical, actually.

I write a lot of stuff. My writings appear in many places, locally and internationally. The issues that I write on are often stuff that people consider sensitive or controversial to a certain segment of society. For instance, organ donation among Muslims, genetic engineering as well as the harm reduction programme to combat HIV/AIDS. These are some of the big issues being discussed among Muslims.

And when you write on big issues, you'd want to know what kind of responses you get, who reads what you write, and who or where your writings are quoted, cited or republished. That is why I google myself.

And because I write quite substantively and being quoted here and there quite a lot, especially in areas that lack Islamic input such as the three aforementioned issues, googling my name would result in at least 7 pages of unrefined search results. The simple reason for this is because the majority of what I wrote could be found in the public domain. And also, it's quite easy to obtain results from googling my name as it is not a common name. I have yet to find anyone else with my name and spelling.

Admittedly, it is somewhat fun reading what people think of what you wrote or said. In this day and age, gauging people's opinions are quite easy. Of course, not everyone agrees with you, but this is normal. Differences of opinion are welcomed, so long as we be civil to one another.

So, have you googled yourself lately?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did and I ended being here....hehe...