Search Engine

Followers

Thursday, June 04, 2009

Akhlaq

We often complain about bad things. And attention is always given to negative things. Yet, ironically, we seldom if ever highlight good, positive and examplary experiences. That is what I want to blog on today. Something good and something that is refreshing. Something that goes to show that there are still people out there who are genuinely virtuous, selfless and possess good character.

A few weeks ago, I was in Nilai, Negeri Sembilan. I was there to see Dr Zulkifli Mohamad Albakri (popularly known as Ustaz Zulkifli Albakri) who is a lecturer at Universiti Sains Islam Malaysia (USIM). USIM is located in a relatively new area, and there is no public transport as far as I noticed.

I called up Dr Zulkifli when I reached there. He wasn't at the faculty, but instead he asked me to wait for him at the guardhouse. At the guardhouse, there was an Arab man waiting for a taxi or something. As there were no taxis forthcoming, he started to ask anyone who was coming out of the gate for a lift to the Nilai commuter station. I was unfamiliar with Nilai, and hence I wasn't able to assist him.

Shortly after, Dr Zulkifli arrived in his car. He told me to follow him back home so that we could have our discussion there. But before that, the Arab man asked Dr Zulkifli for a lift. Dr Zulkifli told him that he wasn't going to the commuter station. And yet, he still offered the Arab man assistance. He told him to get into his car (while I followed from behind). Upon reaching his house, Dr Zulkifli asked one of his students who was assisting him in a writing project to send the Arab man to the commuter station. And even before that, Dr Zulkifli offered him a glass of fresh orange to quench his thirst after waiting in the sun for quite a while.

Frankly, I was humbled by this show of virtuous character on the part of Dr Zulkifli. How many of us would assist, what more be hospitable to a total stranger? In this day and age, when crimes are aplenty and the world "out there" seems to be no longer safe, more often than not we tend to be extra careful, usually to the extend that we are unable to distinguish between people who sincerely need our assistance and those who are out to harm or cheat us.

Dr Zulkifli is a pious, humble, soft-spoken alim whose character is truly examplary. I saw with my own eyes how he translates the teaching of Islam into his character. And to see such a character with a virtuous akhlaq in this day and age is really an eye-opener.

No comments: