Search Engine

Followers

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Irn Bru

When I was studying in Glasgow more than a decade ago, I was introduced to the many facets of its unique culture and charms. Most of us would know some of these, which include bagpipes, kilts, Scottish songs, etc.

And it was around this time I got acquainted with Irn Bru. Dubbed "Scotland's other national drink" - the other being whiskey, in case you're wondering - Irn Bru, as Wikipedia puts it, is a popular carbonated soft drink. The brand is also known for its innovative and wacky advertisments.

A colleague (thanks En Lan!) recently went to the UK for a holiday, and he bought me a can of Irn Bru at a town called Inverness (which is very near Loch Ness). Irn Bru used to be a staple soft drink for me back in those days. So seeing the can somehow made me nostalgic, and brings back a lot of memories.

Here's to Irn Bru (and to good old memories of Bonnie Scotland)!

2 comments:

JIE said...

Salam,

What does "Irn" mean / stand for?

Dr. Shaikh Mohd Saifuddeen said...

Salam Jie,

I think it stands for iron. When the Scots pronounce iron, it sounds like irn.