Search Engine

Followers

Friday, June 05, 2009

Philosophyphile

When I was in my teens, I used to read about philosophy and the various Greek philosophers that everyone has at least heard of - people like Socrates, his student Plato, and Plato's student Aristotle. Although I may not have understood the philosophical thinking of these ancient philosophers, the subject of philosophy certainly got me intrigued.

When I did my undergraduate studies, the focus on philosophy of science was absent even though in truth, the science that I did have a lot of philosophical underpinnings in it.

A few years back, when I was doing my master's degree, I went back to philosophy even though the focus wasn't so much on Socratic, Platonic or Aristotlean thoughts. My thesis was more of a comparison between the modern western philosophies of science which include the views of the logical positivists, empiricists, Karl Popper (and his falsification) and Thomas Kuhn (with his paradigm shift), and that of the modern Islamic thinkers such as Seyyed Hossein Nasr, Ismail Raji al-Faruqi, Syed Naquib al-Attas, Pervez Hoodbhoy, Ziauddin Sardar and Osman Bakar.

Beginning this semester, I have been teaching the subject of philosophy and history of science to the students of the Faculty of Science of the Universiti Malaya. I find that I am once again intrigued by philosophical thoughts of the ancient thinkers, going back to the pre-Socratic philosophers such as Thales, Anaximander, Anaximenes, Pythagoras, Heraclitus, Leucippus and Democritus (and many more), all the way to the Chinese sages like Confucious and Mozi, all the way to the classical Muslim philosophical thoughts of al-Biruni, Ibn Sina, ar-Razi, al-Ghazali, Ibn Rushd and others.

I have to admit that reading and teaching philosophy have been very satisfying mentally. Last night, I made a pit stop at Kinokuniya at KLCC, and bought myself several books on philosophy. This subject is indeed fascinating. It may be a bit heavy as it requires a lot of thinking, but it has indeed broadened my perspective on many things. Call me a lover of philosophy - philosophyphile - if you will.

And to quote Socrates, "I know that I know nothing". That's why I'm trying to read on philosophy as much as I could.

2 comments:

Izza Hani said...

I'm lost...wahahaha

Sufi Intelek said...

Ok then...from now i must call you philosophyphile..hehe..