Search Engine

Followers

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Homonyms

My newborn son has been admitted into hospital on Monday afternoon. He has neonatal jaundice and is undergoing phototherapy. Alhamdulillah, his condition is improving and I have been informed that if this keeps up, he will be discharged tomorrow.

Anyway, what I'd like to blog today is an amusing observation that I made when I told people that my son has jaundice. A typical dialogue would go something like this:
Me: My son is in the hospital. He has jaundice.
Mr A: Oh, yellow fever!
And when I said that my son has yellow fever, the dialogue would go something like this:
Me: My son is in the hospital. He has yellow fever.
Mr A: Oh, jaundice!
It's interesting to note that most of us (myself included) have this tendency of providing homonyms for certain words. I think most of us do this subconsciously and unintentionally. It's just a spontaneous response.

But I have met people who do this on purpose to show off their vocabulary power. Truth be told, I am not easily fazed by such people. However, I would be impress if such people know what "icterus" is.

4 comments:

arsaili said...

saudara..yea its happen and i have the same tendency to do it but not to show off my bombastic wording or vocab but for the psychology insight of me - to make myself clear.. when i'm using d different terminology with d hope people will correct me if i mean something else or vice versa...

Dr. Shaikh Mohd Saifuddeen said...

Saudara Arsaili, I think this happens to most of us. The important thing is that we don't do it to show off. It's good if you want to clarify the meaning of the word like what you're doing. This is one way in which we can make sure that we use the right word all the time.

Anonymous said...

Icterus is synonymous with jaundice. They are one and the same thing.

tehehe...

Dr. Shaikh Mohd Saifuddeen said...

Hehehe Enigma, I am impressed.