Search Engine

Followers

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Ideas... ideas...

A few people wondered out loud how I got my ideas to write. Frankly, for a person who writes quite a bit, this is quite a difficult question to answer.

Ideas just come unexpectedly. I noticed that most times ideas would come when I drive on the highway or watch documentaries. And oft-times, ideas come at night. The unfortunate thing for me is that I don't jot down these ideas when they came. More often than not, I would commit these ideas to memory.

Of course, sources of ideas include books, documentaries and people. That is why when I have time to spare (and there's not much time for me to spare really), I would observe people at shopping complexes, parks, on the roads, etc.

And another source of ideas would have to be discussions or casual chats with friends. Sometimes you'd be inspired by a particular story or anecdote that someone relates. This would occasionally trigger new or fresh ideas that could then be used for writing.

Then, when I am in the mood to write (and this mood doesn't come every day), I would utilise my idea bank to incorporate ideas into my writing.

No comments: