Search Engine

Followers

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Silent killer

On Thursday, I visited a friend who is a staff of the organisation I was attached to prior to joining Yayasan Ilmuwan. As there are four of us at the Yayasan who worked under the same roof with this friend before, we went to the hospital together. This friend is diagnosed with stage 1 cancer. She has had her uterus removed when doctors detected cancer cells there. She is now undergoing radiotherapy, and the doctors will continue to monitor her progress. Fortunately, she doesn't have to go for chemotherapy.

This is actually the first time that someone I personally know is diagnosed with cancer. She has lost a great deal of weight and looks somewhat frail. But her spirit remains strong and she is very upbeat. I can only pray that she will bounce back from this episode. And when she does, she should be proud that she is a survivor.

It is indeed scary when you think about it. Cancer is a silent killer. Most people do not realise that they have cancer until the cancer has reached stage 4. By then, more often than not, it is too late.

Let us all pray for our good health and well-being. And spare a thought and a prayer for those who are fighting this silent killer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is sad to hear that your friend has contracted uterus cancer. Although I don't know her personally, I wish her well. I know how it feels, being a woman myself. I hope she has had kids prior because it would've been devastating for her not to be able to conceive after the surgery.

Dr. Shaikh Mohd Saifuddeen said...

Temasik_temagi: My friend is not married and doesn't have any children. We can only pray that she'll be strong in facing the tests of life.