Search Engine

Followers

Monday, May 19, 2008

Political interest, no more

Quite a few people asked me why my blog is non-political. And the following is my reply:

Everyone who follows Malaysian politics know that these are pretty exciting times. A lot of things are happening that are unseen or unheard of in the history of the country. And most definitely, many are following transpiring events with great interest.

And everyone who knows me well enough know that I used to be very much interested in politics. We are talking about the early 1990s, when yours truly was green, very much idealistic and has a specific notion of what politics should be. Some close friends even mentioned that they see me one day playing an active role in politics.

Alas, this has all come to past. My interest in politics have exponentially decline over the years. I have been somewhat disillusioned by politics (or to be more exact, politicians). And the idealist in me is gone, replaced by the realist and to a certain extent, the pessimist.

Don't get me wrong. Politics is still an important aspect of the nation. It is part and parcel of democracy. I am very close to a number of politicians. I would give my opinion when asked, but most of the times, I'd keep them to my own. Not everyone can swallow what I think about political issues.

That is why you'd notice that I tend to keep my blog virtually free of political rhetorics. And that is why I refrain from blogging about the last general elections and the political landscape that resulted after the political tsunami.

Of course, if my friends ask me to talk about this, I would do so. But only if asked.

And that bit about my going into politics... At this point in time, I don't see that happening as I am not interested at all. Whatever interest that may have existed nearly 15 years ago are non-existent today.

I am happier in my roles as an academic and researcher, and pursuing my interest in writing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you will rethink the idea of not joining politics. You'd probably make a far better politician than half of these clowns who are currently occupying cabinet positions.

Dr. Shaikh Mohd Saifuddeen said...

Only time will tell...