Search Engine

Followers

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Aidilfitri mood

I noticed that many people are already in their Hari Raya mood. At this point in time however, I still don't feel the festivity of Aidilfitri. Perhaps, when I return to my kampung on Saturday, the feeling would be greater.

I am reminded of the time I spent Aidilfitri in Glasgow. The last Aidilfitri I celebrated there was in 1996, and it was perhaps the most memorable one. As we recite the takbir on the eve of Aidilfitri, suddenly snow started falling rather heavily. This was certainly odd because heavy snowfall was quite rare in Glasgow. Sure, sleet was normal but snow on the other hand, was not.

The next morning, as we were getting ready to go to the masjid to perform the Aidilfitri prayers, the snow on the ground was quite thick. In a way, it was a good parting give for me who was leaving Glasgow a few months later. I left Glasgow with memories of a white Aidilfitri.

I hope this year's Aidilfitri will be memorable. This will be the first time that my youngest son would be old enough to be taken along when we visit family and friends. Last year, he was 25 days old when we celebrated Aidilfitri.

Nonetheless, may I take this opportunity (since many will be away from this weekend), to wish all Muslim friends and visitors, a joyous and meaningful Aidilfitri. May the madrasah of Ramadhan improves our character and quality. And may the first of Syawal brings forth happiness and strengthen our ties, insya-Allah.

Eid Mubarak!

No comments: