Search Engine

Followers

Monday, September 22, 2008

Poor man's meal

Yesterday, my wife and I broke fast at one of my favourite restaurants in Ampang. When I made the reservation, I was asked whether I wanted buffet or a la carte. Since it was only the two of us, and since both of us are not "big eaters", I chose a la carte.

We got to the restaurant at about half past six. About half an hour before iftar (breaking fast), the waiter took our orders. I glanced at the others and noticed that many chose the buffet menu. And people started to flock the buffet table to "gather" as much food as they can eat - or at least, as much as they thought they can eat. I was astounded by the amount of food some people took from the buffet table. I wondered quietly whether they could actually finish all the food that they took or was it that they took that much food only to justify the price of the buffet?

Nonetheless, I assume they could actually consume all the food that they took from the buffet table. About ten minutes before iftar, our orders came. I had lamb shank nasi briyani and lemon tea, while my wife had nasi briyani with ayam masak merah and sirap bandung. Aside from our orders, there were two complimentary tamar (dates) on our table.

When it was time for iftar, we ate our food. After finished eating, I went to the counter to pay for the meal. It was around this time that my wife heard the people sitting next to our table (an elderly couple) making a rather cynical remark. "Poor man's meal," exclaimed the elderly man to his wife, after the wife gestured to him what we had for iftar. On their table, of course, was food aplenty taken from the buffet table. And I guess, the buffet meal was a "rich man's meal".

Naturally, when my wife told me about this as we were walking to the car, I was critical of the remark. To me, the remark was uncalled for, especially in this auspicious month of Ramadhan when Muslims are supposed to learn to be moderate (including in the consumption of food) as well as not be wasteful. Frankly, we chose a la carte because we knew that it would be wasteful for us to choose buffet. We would be paying more than what we could actually eat. So, it was more practical and realistic for us to choose a la carte.

Friends of mine know pretty well that I should never be taken along for buffet meals, simply because I don't eat that much. It's not cost-effective for me to have a buffet meal. And I definitely do not like to waste any food.

If an a la carte meal is considered a poor man's meal, then so be it. At least, deep in my heart, I know that I did not waste any food that would probably be better if given to the poor, rather than be wasted and thrown away by the so-called rich.

3 comments:

Liyana said...

tak sangka ya...
zaman skrg ni, jenis makanan yg kita beli boleh melambangkan taraf kehidupan seseorg...

JIE said...

Salam kelana,

'Poor man's meal'? Angkuhnya! Saya doakan orang itu diberi kesedaran dari Allah, soon.

p/s - Lamb shank briyani... yum!

Izza Hani said...

ada sesetengah orang memang tak tau bersyukur. suka ambil mudah dengan kemewahan/kesenangan yg diberi. kalau Allah tarik nikmat tuh, pasti dia berasa azab sebab tak pernah susah