Search Engine

Followers

Monday, February 16, 2009

Manja

When I was in the UK, I was pretty much active in student activities, though initially not by choice. I was appointed as Assistant Secretary of the UMNO Club of Glasgow in 1992 with the understanding that I was only there to help the Secretary who is a friend from my batch.

The following year, I was made Secretary - again not by choice. I had wanted to relinquish all positions because "being active" was exhausting. However, when I was given the trust to do something, I would give it my very best. With the able leadership of the Head of the club and dedicated team in the committee, we managed to make the club the biggest in terms of membership and the most active in terms of activities in the UK at that point in time.

I remembered going around from house to house alone after class during the cold winter to get people to join the Club. It was exhausting, but the outcome was rewarding. I managed to get 133 members to sign up as paid members.

Of course, that was not an easy task. More often than not, people would ask me, "What do I get in return if I join?" My standard answer was, "We'll be having a lot of activities for the students here, and members will be given priorities and will enjoy special privileges."

Most of them did sign up after that. In the weeks that followed, people could see the varied activities that we had lined up for the students in Glasgow. Those who didn't sign up initially would sign up later on when they saw the benefits that they could gain as members.

Nonetheless, there was always the problem of "ahli manja" or "pampered/spoilt members". There are those who kept on asking for more benefits, rather than offering their services and help in organising activities. Sometimes, I just wished I had paraphrased JFK's famous quote: "Ask not what your club can do for you, ask what you can do for your club."

Since coming back from the UK, I have taken an inactive and silent role. I am not interested in being active in any organisations, clubs or whatever. I suspect the same can be expected here in Malaysia.

I suppose part of the problem that the country faces when it comes to corruption and money politics is due to the existence of these "ahli manja". They will keep on asking what (and how much) they can get, rather than asking what they can give for the benefit of all.

I have also noticed these "ahli manja" in my workplace. I guess they are probably everywhere. These are people who would make sounds when they feel that they should get something, but would suddenly disappear out of sight and not make any noise when they could not deliver what they are supposed to do (read: what they are paid for to do).

Frankly, I am tired of these manja people. To me, I am more concerned that every sen that I get from my salary is worth the amount of work that I do. I would rather give more than what I get. I remember one Hadith of the Prophet Muhammad that mentioned to the effect that the best of people are those who are beneficial to others.

That is why I commend and salute my staff members who go beyond their call of duty. These "rarities" are assets to an organisation. And believe me, these are the people who would be rewarded.

Not the manja ones.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

boss...can you remove the manja ones or not...wahahaha. they are so lucky that they have such a good boss. If I'm the boss, I would say "Sayonara!" to them. But again they are so lucky that I'm not their boss.