Search Engine

Followers

Monday, June 02, 2008

Stimulating discussion

I had an appointment at 11 a.m. with Ms. Dina Zaman. She is a well-known columnist and author, who has a regular column in The Star called "A Writer's Life" and has penned the award-winning best-selling book entitled I am Muslim. Go get the book and read it with an open mind - it's very stimulating.

The appointment was set about two weeks ago. She is currently carrying out a research for the Malaysian AIDS Council (MAC) on awareness and understanding of HIV/AIDS in Malaysia. The President of MAC, Professor Dr. Adeeba Kamaruzzaman - whom I've worked with in the past - suggested my name as one of the people to be interviewed for the research. I was greatly honoured to be recognised in such a way. To me, this interview actually presented an opportunity for me to present my views and thoughts on the matter at hand.

Needless to say, the interview became an interesting and stimulating discussion about a variety of things, ranging from attitudes of Malaysians (and particularly Muslims in the country) towards HIV/AIDS to apathy and complacency of the community towards this pertinent issue. I have to say that it has indeed been a long while since my mind felt stimulated in a discussion.

Aside from organ and tissue donation and transplantation, I have an interest in the issue of HIV/AIDS as well. Although I don't get that much opportunity to talk on this issue compared to organ and tissue donation and transplantation, the issue of HIV/AIDS remains close to my mind. After all, my very first novel, Ombak Senja, dwells on the stigma of a man living with HIV/AIDS.

It was indeed a nice two hours plus spent with Ms. Dina Zaman. I hope that I could continue to assist MAC in the future as I have in the past. And I hope to meet up with the down-to-earth writer in the future.

And yes, I did get an autograph from her.

2 comments:

JIE said...

Salam Kelana,

Dina's blogs were my daily read, until she eventually shut them down (bummer!) And yes, I do have a copy of I Am Muslim, somewhere, heheh.

IMHO, Dina's IAM must be read with an open mind, as methinks the author is quite liberal in her interpretation of Islam, and readers who do not have a good islamic knowledge, may end up a tad confused. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong, but it's just my doplohsen, and no one has to agree with me :-)

Apa-apa pun, I wish her well, both in her career and personal life.

Dr. Shaikh Mohd Saifuddeen said...

I agree with you that I Am Muslim must be read with an open mind. But it is an interesting read, nonetheless. The only thing is that "some" of our readers may not be ready for that kind of read... which to me is pretty unfortunate. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with the author. In fact, I believe "I Am Muslim" presents us the opportunity to debate on a number of issues presented by the author. However, we have to be civilised when presenting dissenting views, and not condemn outright.

Just my doplohsen. :-)