Search Engine

Followers

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Third anniversary

As friends and visitors of this blog know, organ donation is a subject that is very close to my heart. I have been involved with organ donation programmes and campaigns since 1998. So this year is actually my tenth year as an organ donation proponent. It's not an easy job, but the challenge is, in itself, rewarding.

My involvement in organ donation programmes and campaigns started out as a formal assignment when I was with the Institute of Islamic Understanding Malaysia (IKIM). When I gave my talks, they were very much "academic" in nature, and I felt detached from the subject.

Later, as I got to know the dedicated and selfless people behind the scenes who are actively involved in organ procurement, I began to understand how organ donation is crucial and critical in saving lives - in particular the team at the National Transplant Resource Centre (NTRC) and Institut Jantung Negara (IJN). I also began to appreciate the delicate nature of this oft-misundertood subject, although my perspective was still very much academic in nature.

Three years ago, I came to know a teenager. He was 15 years old then. And he changed my perspective on organ donation - transforming it from a mere academic perspective into something closer to my heart. When I met him, he was just fitted with a device called the intravascular ventricular assist device or IVAD. He was the first patient in Malaysia and the region to be fitted with IVAD (and the only person so far who had it fitted internally). This device served as a bridge for him until a new heart from a donor was available. [One of my earliest posts in this blog focused on him].

Alhamdulillah, he did not have to wait long. Today, three years ago, he received a new heart from a donor. Despite some hiccups now and again (mainly as a result of infection), he has been living a better life. Organ donation has given him a new hope and a new lease of life.So, to Muhammad Fikri Norazmi, thank you for changing my perspective on organ donation. Have a happy third anniversary with your new heart. And may you have a prosperous and happy life ahead.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post is wonderful. Thank you so much abang. God bless.. =)

Dr. Shaikh Mohd Saifuddeen said...

It was my pleasure.