Search Engine

Followers

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Not so happy start to 2009

And so 2009 is here. There is of course the usual fireworks and much fanfare. As usual, I stayed at home. I'm not the type who revel in celebrating the coming of the new year. I'd rather be at home with my family and get my much needed rest.

Anyway, this new year, to me and (from the text messages I have received) to many Muslim friends, did not start on a happy note. The offensive launched by the Israelis on the Palestinians showed the world how 2009 will not be such a happy year. We have heard about the impending economic and financial recession. With this latest atrocity by Israel, I'd say we're in for a year full of global political uncertainties.

Somehow, I feel that the Israelis are just taking advantage on the last days of the Bush administration. Many are pinning hopes of world peace on the incoming US administration. I am not hoping for too much though. But one can hope and pray so that these atrocities could be stopped before more innocent lives are lost.

For Muslims, may I urge that we perform the solat sunat hajat with the Qunut nazilah recited in the second rakaat, solat sunat ghaib and followed by the recitation of Surah al-Mulk, Surah at-Taubah and Surah al-Anfal. May Allah SWT show us the right path and provide victory to the surpressed Palestinians.

No comments: