Search Engine

Followers

Monday, January 19, 2009

Putting things in order

I am a control freak. I hate it when things are chaotic or not placed in its proper order. That is why, one of my aims for January is to put things in order at the office.

Frankly, I am understaffed at the office. Yes, we do have about 35 people working under the Japanese education project. But they are actually contract staff who are designated specifically to that particular project. For the organisation proper, there are only three of us.

I am fortunate that a couple of the project team members are helping me out with special tasks which are relevant to what they are doing. On top of that, we are also going to hire four new people for the organisation proper, partly to assist me and partly to assist the numero uno.

But hiring staff can be a tedious process. Since we are small, we do not want to bring in the wrong people who shine (pretentiously) during interviews but at the end of the day, prove to be a liability (or worse, a parasite) to the organisation. While it is the prerogative of the employer to hire and fire, in truth it is actually easy to hire but very difficult to fire someone. And most definitely, we do not want to come to that situation.

In any case, January is a very busy month for me. I have become more organised than the last few years, and I hope by the month's end, things will be very much in order as they should be.

2 comments:

Izza Hani said...

Some people are so lucky that everybody loves him or her even though that particular person(s) make grave mistake(s)[sigh]. But I'm not so that lucky in that sense...hahah!

Dr. Shaikh Mohd Saifuddeen said...

People learn through their mistakes. If one is considered lucky for not being "punished" for their mistakes, then one really doesn't learn anything.