Search Engine

Followers

Friday, April 06, 2007

Old newspaper

Something from 2004....

I came upon this as I was doing some Internet search on education. Of course, this is old news but I wasn't aware of it until today.

Apparently, YB Lim Kit Siang, the Head of Opposition in the Parliament issued this media statement way back in 2004. The full text can be read by double-clicking the link provided. But I'd just like to highlight the following:

I had [sic] glad that in the past fortnight, other voices had spoken out who clearly do not agree with Musa’s dismissal of Abdullah’s call for an “education revolution” as a mere “reminder” to the Education Ministry to “continue its present efforts to improve the education system”.

The New Straits Times, for instance, in its “Saturday Forum” on 17th January 2004 carried as its major item the article entitled “Time for a second education revolution”, by IKIM fellow Shaikh Mohd Saifuddeen, supporting Abdullah’s call for a second education revolution (after the first “education revolution” under Tun Abdul Razak) to “overhaul and revolutionise the education system”.

In the New Sunday Times two days ago, the Vice Chancellor of Universiti Sains Malaysia Prof Datuk Dzulkifli Abdul Razak, referred to Abdullah’s call for an “education revolution” in the context of a process which has still to be undertaken rather than a process which is underway as contended by Musa – although Dzulkifli was writing in support of more “apolitical appointments” into the Cabinet.


The full context of my article can be read here. Most times, I try to avoid commenting on issues played as political rhetorics. But on certain occasions, there are important issues that needed to be touched on. And this - at that particular point in time - was one of them. I believe this issue is still relevant even today.

In any case, I am glad that the Opposition Leader agrees with me. Even though I may not be sharing his political stance or ideology, I am in a way happy that what I wrote was accepted without any political bias.

No comments: