Search Engine

Followers

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Who wants to be a millionaire?

Way back in 1995, a friend told me of his dream to have his first million by the age of 35. If I do my math correctly, he should be 36 this year. I never actually got around to asking him whether he has made his first million.

I also remember back then when I used to naively think that money is not all that important. This was of course before I started working and before I had a family.

Today, while I still naively think that there is more to life than money and that money is not everything, I will however agree to the notion that you need to have money to be able to live in a city like Kuala Lumpur. Things are not cheap these days as many would attest.

Interestingly, last night a friend posed the question of what I would do if I were a millionaire. It took me a while to answer. I said that my first priority would be to pay the zakat on the income. Then I would go off and settle my debts - the usual stuff like house, car, etc. Then I would like to send my parents for their Haj. After that, I would also like to perform my Haj as well along with my wife. I would also want to set aside a certain sum for my children's education fund. Oh, and probably buy myself a new pair of shoes, I said while pointing at my shoes which have shown the telltale signs of age.

My friend laughed, instantaneously saying that I was very naive and wasn't creative.

When I went home, I sat down and pondered for a while. In my wildest dreams, never have I thought of becoming a millionaire. And in reality, I have never aimed for that as well. I guess it would be good to have that much money because you'd always have "spare cash" in your account(s), but I wonder if I would sleep more soundly? As far as I am concerned, what I would like to do is to earn a decent and honest living so that I can support and provide for my household. I don't care so much if I have a million or not.

What is more important to me is that the earning is halal and enough to make ends meet. And while at times this can be very hard to do, alhamdulillah so far I have managed quite well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm total agreed with u on this statement "What is more important to me is that the earning is halal and enough to make ends meet."

Dr. Shaikh Mohd Saifuddeen said...

Soo Shin, good to have you commenting on the blog, old friend. I believe that statement is the most important of all.