Search Engine

Followers

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

My kryptonite

Everyone has a weakness.

Superman has kryptonite.

Me? One of my weaknesses is books. I can't stop myself if I see books on display on shelves. I sometimes lose control when I go to book fairs. If I pass a bookshop, I will have to stop. And more often than not, I'll buy one or two titles at least. I can spend hours at Kinokuniya or MPH Mid Valley or the library of Universiti Malaya.

My shelves at the office could no longer house all the books I have. My workstation at home is also running out of space for the books I bought as well as those I borrowed from the library.

At least, my consolation is, my weakness is actually something beneficial. Sometimes I feel my brain is like a sponge trying to absorb all the things I read. If Superman becomes weak after exposure to kryptonite, I feel "stronger" after reading books.

Perhaps, it's not a weakness after all.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

owh this is like abang borek adik rintik or something? :P

should i say you're lucky to have such weakness that instead makes you strong in mind?

congratz bro!

well as for me, i love reading but i don't really into reading books but instead anything viewed through the monitor. :D

you know what i mean.

sorry to relate this with your sister, but if she's into malay novels, what are you up to?

JIE said...

Salam kelana,

Hey, we have something in common, books are my weakness too. Oldskool la, I still need my books on paper, den tak gheti nak baco monitor yo macam Szakif tu hehe :-)

Dr. Shaikh Mohd Saifuddeen said...

Salam Szakif,

I read mostly anything that catches my attention, both printed and digital. As for reading materials, the range is wide - from scientific and philosophical stuff, right down to comics and science fiction.

I know my sister loves novels. I don't read that many novels (not lately anyway)... I just write them.
:)

Dr. Shaikh Mohd Saifuddeen said...

Salam Jie,

If only more people here have the same weakness. :)