Search Engine

Followers

Saturday, March 07, 2009

Bagpipe tunes

Buchanan Street

For some strange reason, I am getting more and more nostalgic of my Glasgow years lately.

Back then, one of the places that I like to go on weekends was Buchanan Street. Buchanan Street is a pedestrian street, where you walk from one end (that begins at St Enoch Square's underground station) to the other end (that ends at Buchanan Street's underground station). Along the way, there are shops to your left and right.

I liked Buchanan Street for three reasons.

One, it is where my favourite comics outlet - Forbidden Planet - is located. Forbidden Planet was where I used to buy my comics.

Two, it is home to Princes Square, a quaint mall (by Malaysian standards). This is one of the most beautifully-designed shopping complexes that I have ever seen. I took one of my first photos in Glasgow there, and the photo is one of the best that I had from my Glasgow years.

Three, along Buchanan Street there would be buskers performing with bagpipes (though there were other types of performers performing as well; some would play guitars, others would sing). There would be small crowds cheering them on. And I would usually be there to enjoy the free show as well. It was like watching a free concert, I guess.

Truth be told, I enjoy bagpipe music. It has a certain air of mystery to it. Play a bagpipe tune accompanied by drums, and you'll get some of the most amazing tunes. Every now and then, when I hear tunes like "Scotland the Brave", "Skye Boat" or "Amazing Grace", my mind would be transported back to the past. I am a sucker for Celtic tunes.

Have a listen to the following tune, "Flower of Scotland". To my mind, it's a tune that is difficult not to appreciate.



I wonder why, after nearly 13 years since I left Glasgow, I am now feeling overly-nostalgic about the place.

*Sigh*

No comments: