Search Engine

Followers

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Territorial workers

There are those who think that they are extremely clever that no one else knows how to do their job. These are people who think that they are indispensable.

Truth of the matter is, no one in any organisation is irreplaceable. One might think that one is good at his/her job, but there is someone else out there who can do the job better. You would see that these very same people have difficulties in delegating tasks to their subordinates, for fear that their subordinates would not be able to deliver. These type of workers are very territorial, guarding their work territories with the same ferocity of a lioness.

I don't have any problems with territorial workers who think they are irreplaceable, for as long as they can deliver and prove that they can actually do the work. Some of these territorial workers are really good in delivering what is required of them.

I do, however, have issues with workers who think they cannot be replaced, but could not even complete a simple task. Imagine having given a menial task many many moons ago, and yet until today the task has yet to be completed. When asked, the reply that you get is, "I forgot" or "I'm busy". When suggested that the task be delegated (since it's not a task that required a genius like Einstein to complete), it never got done. The irony is, for a "busy" person who guards her territory and thinks that she's irreplaceable, she has time to read magazines while other people are busy working. If you ask me, it's procrastination to the nth degree.

I do applaud workers who go beyond their call of duty, willing to contribute for the benefit of the organisation, and put the organisation before themselves. This category of workers is difficult to find, but once an organisation has them, then they are always considered valuable assets that should be emulated by all.

P.S. I am still feverish, hence my touchiness. At least, I got this out of my system.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

like I said before and I say it once more...some people are so lucky...whatever wrong things they did, they still got away with it just like that. should I be jealous? waahhahhaaa...