Search Engine

Followers

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Promises and hypocrites

When I was in Glasgow, one of the masjids that I frequented for prayers was the Dawat-ul-Islam or Oakfield Avenue Masjid situated at Oakfield Avenue which is very near the University of Glasgow. The masjid is more popularly known to students as the University Mosque for obvious reasons. It is just a small renovated tenement flat which definitely serves its purpose.

Anyway, I am not blogging about the masjid per se. It's just that I remembered that this masjid used to have (not sure anymore though) selected verses from the Quran put up on its many pillars. One particular verse that stuck in my head until today is from verse 2 of Surah as-Saff (61) which is translated thus:
O ye who believe, why do you say that which you do not do?
I find this verse drives home the message of the importance of keeping promises. It is sad when someone who supposedly have knowledge and is well-respected ended up breaking promises. To me, why promise something that you can't keep? Why say something that you are not certain that you'll be able to deliver? In Islam, it is hypocritical for someone to break their promises.

Unfortunately, in our life, we tend to come across these people. I, for one, have been promised a lot of things by a certain someone. Until now, most of what were promised remained just that - empty promises and hollow words.

Tell me, if you were in my position, what would you do?

4 comments:

enigma said...

ichiban--dare?

niban--keep on reminding, pressing and demanding...heheh

Awi Cakri said...

alamak...terasa la jugak kat saya ni...sorry la TS kalau saya xturun badminton...

FARAHana said...

alahai..terase gak..huhuhuhuu..

Izza Hani said...

bro awi...bukan pasal badminton ler. this one is bigger than that. bigger than u ever imagine...hahahaha (evil laugh)