Search Engine

Followers

Friday, April 03, 2009

Say it as it is

People say that those born in the year of the tiger has a short temper. I was born in that year. When I was a young boy, I used to have a very short temper. I would easily snap at people and if I remember correctly, I was quite fierce.

Later, when I got into secondary school, I have learnt to keep my temper at bay. I don't recall ever losing my temper when I was in my teens.

Since my schooling years, I have managed, more or less, to control my anger. Yes, there have been occasions when I had to vent out my anger out of frustration mainly. But more often than not, many people who know me would probably have never seen me angry.

But I guess, things will have to change somewhat from now on.

Lately, I have been getting severe bouts of migraine almost every day. You could see the veins popping up on my forehead when I have these migraine attacks. When I checked my blood pressure, it is quite high. And I have been advised by my doctor that I should not hold back when something is bothering me.

I have seen many cultures in my life. Malaysians, in particular Malays, have always been "courteous" and unwilling to show their displeasure out of respect and out of fear that they would offend others. Americans are well-known to be direct and honest in giving their opinions. Arabs are almost similar. When I was in Egypt, I witnessed that if they don't like something, they will say it, but once they said their piece, they don't hold any grudge.

I have been advised to just say my piece. Never mind if others are "offended" or if they want to sulk later on. And I must admit, I am feeling slightly better after doing this. No more sugarcoating my words or trying to play diplomat.

From now on, I will say it as it is.

Too bad if you can't take it.

No comments: