Search Engine

Followers

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Rain

I received an e-mail yesterday from a school friend saying that Rain is coming to Malaysia. My immediate response upon reading the e-mail was, "Hang on, isn't rain here already? In fact, isn't Johor flooded because of excessive rain?" Then I read the e-mail again, and I realised she was talking about Rain a.k.a. Jeong Ji-Hoon, the Korean entertainer. That brought a smile on my face, albeit briefly. These past few weeks, news of heavy rain have literally flooded the news in the country. Truth be told, I never thought that I'd see floods like the ones in Johor, Pahang and Sabah ever happening in Malaysia.

It is indeed depressing to read and watch the news on the floods. While help is coming from all fronts, I find that not much can be done to console the displaced victims. They have lost their homes and some, their livelihood. Sure, we can extend our assistance in the form of monetary aid, but it will take them a while to rebuild their lives.

How I wish, at this point in time, the nation could prioritise. Why not channel part of the budget (emphasis on the word "part") for the as-yet-to-be-built Wilayah Pembangunan Iskandar (WPI) towards rebuilding the lives of those affected by the floods? I don't see the point of having a 221,634.1 hectares of a "new region" when many parts of the state has been flooded - unless of course you want to relocate everybody to this new growth area.

Oh, another bit of depressing news, perhaps on the other end of the spectrum if compared to the flood news. The Klang Valley is expected to experience drought from February till August as a result of El Nino. While those down south are experiencing excess rainfall, we in the Klang Valley will face severe lack of rain. So, for those of us in the Klang Valley, start stocking up on water.

I mentioned to a friend just before I blogged this entry that El Nino is coming to Malaysia. His immediate reply was, "Yes. I know. I bought tickets already."

I was flabbergasted for a while. Then I realised. He was talking about Il Divo.

*Sigh*

1 comment:

Pinky said...

The weather conditions are certainly getting a wee bit unpredictable these days. I guess global warming must have melted a large chunk of the polar ice caps in the north and south pole inevitably causing sea levels to rise and creating the effects that we see today i.e floods, excessive rainfall etc.

Touch wood - but I do sometimes wonder whether the extreme weather conditions will ever mirror those showcased by the movie " The day after the tomorrow". Doesn't it ever worry you?!