Search Engine

Followers

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Two-double-oh-seven

First post of 2007!

Another year has gone, and a new year begins. As promised, I will take a look back at 2006. Overall, for me, it has been a year of mixed fortunes. The year was perhaps the most testing and toughest since I started working in 1996. Some days I felt worn out and wanted to just give up. But when I looked around, amidst the trials and tribulations that life threw at me, I became thankful for a number of reasons.

I am thankful to Allah SWT for giving me the strength and good health to go on, and on, and on. People may judge me to be a workaholic. Maybe they are correct to a certain extent, but at this point in time, work keeps me going. I worry when I don't have anything to do. That is why I am thankful for the blessings given by Allah SWT in the form of strength and health. Interestingly, for the first time in my working life, I never called in sick even for a day in 2006. For that matter, I didn't take a day off at all last year.

I am also thankful to my family for just being there. My lovely wife, my loveable son and my loving parents are my pillars of strength. It is them who kept me going. Even during the most difficult of days in 2006, I find comfort in my family.

I am equally thankful to my friends. It is said that you will know who your true friends are during your hardest times. I found out in 2006 that this is very true. True friends stick around and would offer a helping hand when you are down and out. These are friends who treat you for who you are and not for what you have become. I will always treasure true friendship till my last breath.

Of course, there were a few achievements in 2006 that I am quite proud of. But at the end of the day, these achievements are just life's little milestones. No point basking in the glory of your achievements if you can't better yourself in the days, weeks, months and years to come.

So, let us bid adieu to 2006, and welcome 2007.

No comments: