Search Engine

Followers

Friday, January 05, 2007

Return of the scientist?

We're only into the first week of the new year. Alhamdulillah, I am very pleased that so far, 2007 has been positively and encouragingly productive and full of promises ahead. But, there is a very unexpected but very interesting personal development that is brewing.

After a 12-year hiatus, there is a pretty good chance that I'll put on my lab coat again!

All these years, it never occured at all to me that there is even a remote possibility that I'd return to the science lab to do scientific research. It all began in the closing days of 2006 when an innocent conversation with my boss led to a possible research project. This led to another discussion with a professor in pharmacy which then led to yet another discussion on Wednesday, this time with a professor in biomedicine.

After discussing all the possibilities and especially the potential benefits of this research - and after giving it much thought - I have more or less decided that the time is right for me to go back to my "true calling," so to speak. My school friends would probably remember that my strength has always been in pure science, especially chemistry and biology. That is why I went on to do chemistry for my degree. After nearly 12 years dabbling in the fringes of science - particularly philosophy, ethics, history and policy of science - perhaps it is high time for me to return to my roots.

I am not yet at liberty to disclose this research that I'll be doing. Suffice to say that the general area of research is biomedicine and the focus of the research will be to develop a new bio-based material to be used in medicine.

Intriguing? It certainly is. I just hope that I can relearn the things that I need to know. This will certainly add spice to my life for the next 3 years or so.

Return of the scientist? Let's just hope it's not the making of a mad scientist.

2 comments:

Izza Hani said...

Profesor Klon...Profesor Klon...sedap pula dengar lagu Aznil utk filem CicakMan tuh. Haha...jgn Shaikh jd cam Profesor Klon dah ler. nanti kena cari LipasMan plak...wakakakak

Pinky said...

you in a lab coat?? Sounds like Dexter from Dexter Laboratory.... mind you it's not about the height *lol*