Search Engine

Followers

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Broken link

The 7.1 magnitude on the Richter scale earthquake that hit Taiwan really shook many parts of the world, though not literally. Perhaps for the first time in the relatively brief history of the Internet, many people experienced the inability to access it. All because the earthquake damaged the undersea cabling system needed to get connected. Details on this here, here and here.

For me personally, it was an annoying experience. Fortunately though, I could still send files through the e-mail system although the free web-based e-mails are mostly inaccessible. In any case, yesterday's experience certainly draws out an important and salient point. We have become very dependent on technologies such as the Internet, and when it fails to deliver, we find ourselves panicking.

On the bright side, I managed to finish another chapter of my second novel because of the inability to use the Internet. This makes me wonder however. If there was no Internet, could I have gotten more writing done? Hmmm...

No comments: