Search Engine

Followers

Friday, December 15, 2006

From deep inside my heart

Tomorrow is the 16th of December. To most of us, it is just another day in the last month of the year. Many people would probably be looking forward to the long holidays coming up soon. But to Muhammad Fikri bin Norazmi, 16, tomorrow is a very important day. Last year, on this date, Fikri received a heart transplant. It marks the beginning of his "new" lease of life. He has been very thankful. I asked him today how he felt. And he replied, "Good. Very good."

For those who may not be aware, before Fikri received his "new" heart, he has made medical history as the first patient in Southeast Asia to receive a mechanical heart, technically known as the Implantable Ventricular Assist Device or IVAD. Fikri's story can be read here and here, among others. You can also visit his personal blog here.

The following is an account on Fikri from my own personal perspective:

I first met him last year when I was at IJN to deliver a talk on organ donation. It was just after he was fitted with the mechanical heart. I was brought to see him at his ward. I can still remember how he was - quite frail and weak from his condition and surgeries. Since then, I have been keeping tabs on his condition. On 15th December 2005, I was in a meeting at the Health Ministry in Putrajaya discussing a research project on organ donation. While we were discussing, Dr. Lela's handphone rang. Dr. Lela Yasmin Mansor is the co-ordinator of the National Transplant Resource Centre (NTRC). She excused herself to answer her phone, and came back in telling us that they have a potential donor. Deep inside, I prayed hoping that Fikri's long wait for a heart will now come to an end.

Indeed, it did. Not only did Fikri get a new heart, but other patients also benefited from the donor, including a policeman who got a lung (the first lung transplant in Malaysia). This past few months, I've been communicating quite regularly with Fikri using YM.

Frankly, knowing Fikri has left a huge impact on my life. I've been involved with organ donation campaigns for the past 8 years or so, but it has always been something "academic" to me. Not until I met Fikri did I realise how serious it is for us to come forward as organ pledgers and hopefully, donors. Now, whenever I speak on this issue, it comes from deep inside my heart, not just from the top of my head.

Since Fikri got his new heart, I've not seen him in person, that is, until last Wednesday when we shot the infomercial on organ donation to be aired over TV3 soon. It's indeed heartwarming to see Fikri doing very well. And I pray that he will continuously be healthy and would live life to the fullest. I wish him all the best of health and the best in his future undertakings.

Happy 1st anniversary, Fikri!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks abang shaikh. Really appreciate it! :)

fara azmi,,^_^ said...

oh,,ni page tuan shaikh rupanya,,