Search Engine

Followers

Thursday, December 07, 2006

It's a Durian weather

Everyone loves durians --- well, almost everyone. I used to love durians as well, way back during my school days. But now, I can't seem to be able to consume this king of fruits. Apparently, when I started my university days back in 1993, I have become somewhat "allergic" to a few types of food, if consumed, would trigger a very serious problem called "migraine."

Anyway, I am not about to blog about the king of fruits or allergy or migraine. Rather, I'd like to touch on the weather we're having in the country lately.

Everyone knows that it has been raining incessantly almost every afternoon and evening these past few months. This is all well and good because it helps to wash away the dreadful haze choking our country. But in the past several days, there was no rain, instead there was an intensed hot weather especially in the afternoon. It is around this time that our neighbour, the Philippines experience the attack of Typhoon Durian. The typhoon began on 26 November and claimed over 400 lives in the Philippines.

Typhoon Durian has since moved towards Vietnam and the Gulf of Thailand. Malaysia's Meteorological Department has issued warnings that the typhoon, which has now been downgraded, will cause strong winds and heavy rain in Terengganu, Kelantan, Perlis, Kedah and Pulau Pinang.

While the weather system may cause some worries in the northern and eastern states of the country, people in the Klang Valley are also experiencing some strange weather pattern. Take yesterday, for instance. Around 5.30 p.m., the sky became dark and you could see lightning striking a couple of times. Apparently, at that time there was a thunderstorm at several places in Kuala Lumpur, Shah Alam, Petaling Jaya and Subang. It rained throughout the evening and most of the night, and flooded several low-lying areas, including Shah Alam.

I only got to know this from a friend, En. Mazilan, who works in Jalan Duta and lives in Shah Alam. As for people like me, who live and work in Hulu Kelang, we saw the dark clouds and the lightning, but there was no rain. It was dry and incredibly humid and hot. This is fascinating for me, simply because it's only 15 km from Hulu Kelang to Jalan Duta, and yet, we experienced contrastingly different sets of weather.

These days, the weather is getting more and more unpredictable. Even the durian season is unpredictable and quite random these days.

1 comment:

Izza Hani said...

yesterday I thought I saw a twister in Bdr Sri Permaisuri while I was waiting for the red lite to go green at a T junction. I saw a group of cloud forming like a twister. I was larmed and stared at it until it was time to go. thank goodness it was not a real twister. if not...bye bye KL