Search Engine

Followers

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Interesting challenge

It's nearly 2 a.m. as I write this entry, and I have just finished preparing my slides for a talk to be delivered at ILKAP tomorrow. For those who may be unfamiliar, ILKAP stands for the Judicial and Legal Training Institute. Before anyone asks, let it be clear that I am not one with a legal background nor am I in the law profession (or anything remotely near it, for that matter). However, there is a course on the new Biosafety Act organised at ILKAP, and the "custodian" of the act, namely the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment felt that I would be the right person to talk on "Religious Perspective on Biodiversity and Related Issues".

I have been involved with that topic for a few years now, and even edited a book on this subject for the ministry in 2006. It is indeed an honour to be invited to talk on the subject. The only thing that worries me a bit is the time allocated for my session. Believe it or not, the organiser has given me four hours to tackle the topic.

This will be the second time that I have been given four hours to talk on one subject. The first was a few years ago when I spoke on "Organ Donation from the Islamic Perspective" at the International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM). Back then, I had just over 100 slides and my audience was mainly doctors and nurses. In the end, I overshot the allocated time by about 15 minutes.

This time, I only prepared 40 slides and my audience are legal officers. Interesting challenge, this. Insya-Allah, I'll blog on what transpire at ILKAP in my next entry.

No comments: