Search Engine

Followers

Friday, October 10, 2008

And now... shattered glass

The way my office is designed is such that all the rooms for senior executives have glass walls. This is, according to the boss, to allow for a "transparent" working environment.

I don't have a problem with that policy. However, never in my mind would I ever imagine that one of the glass walls would shatter. But this is exactly what happened yesterday afternoon. Shortly after I left the office to run some errands outside, my colleagues on the second floor heard a sound akin to an explosion. They rushed up to the third floor where my office is located, and to their horror, found one of the glass walls of the room next to mine shattered into a million pieces.

The wall is still standing as I write this entry, but instead of a clean slab of glass, it is now broken into a million pieces, just waiting to crumble. The contractor has been contacted, and he said that there could be a few reasons that caused the glass to shatter. One reason is due to heat. Another reason could be because someone smashed or tried to smash the glass.

The first reason I find to be illogical, because if that was the cause, then all the glass walls in the office would shatter as well. Why only one of the glass walls? Or is this the first of the shattering of other glass walls? If so, then it is certainly cause for worry.

The second reason is unacceptable because I am the only occupant on the third floor at the moment. I certainly did not smash the wall, nor did anybody else. When I leave the office, I would lock the door. Only a handful has access to the third floor which is secured by a security camera. If anyone smashes the glass wall, it would be picked up by the camera.

The contractor did offer a third possible cause. And that is the glass wall had a small crack when they fitted it. That crack was like a time bomb waiting to explode. Many months later, the crack finally shattered the whole glass. I am more inclined towards this explanation. It is more logical and acceptable.

It is certainly strange because the third floor has been problematic many times over. I have blogged about the problems besetting the third floor before. The list of strange and sometimes unexplained occurrences at the office are listed below:
And all these happened this year since we moved into the new office. While I believe that each occurrence has a logical and scientific explanation, there are those here at the office who offer a more supernatural explanation.

Whatever it is, I hope that these problems would not recur. Not only are these problems causing a headache, some incidents like this shattered glass incident could result in unwanted accidents and may cause injury if one is not careful.

[I will post the picture of the shattered glass wall as soon as I can].

1 comment:

JIE said...

Salam Kelana,

If the shattered wall is an inside wall i.e to separate rooms, then it wouldn't be exposed to direct sunlight, so the first reason (heat) may not be right, huh?

As to the second reason (hit by someone) there would be a clear & specific pattern of splintering i.e more splintering at the point of impact.

So the third reason (pre-installation crack) must be it lah. Unless it's the fourth reason - Dark Flora just moved into the room nextdoor... :-P