Search Engine

Followers

Friday, October 31, 2008

I came, I saw, I conquered... Japanese food

My first encounter with Japanese food was about seven years ago in Kuching. I just couldn't take in Japanese food at that time. Since then, there have been a number of occasions where I had to attend lunches and dinners at Japanese restaurants. On these occasions, I tried to "enjoy" sushi and sashimi, but failed. In the end, I would order things like nasi goreng kampung or go for tepanyaki instead.

Yesterday evening, my organisation hosted a farewell dinner for one of our associates, Dr Zulkefeli, who will be leaving to Japan for his postdoctorate. As most of the attendees were Japanese graduates, it was decided (not by me) that we should have our dinner at a Japanese restaurant. I wasn't too keen on the decision, and hesitated to attend. But since Dr Zulkefeli is a good friend, and this dinner was organised in his honour, I went nevertheless, albeit reluctantly.

I actually prepared myself for the worst. And the worst would be to embarass myself by ordering nasi goreng kampung while everyone else indulged themselves with sushi and sashimi.

For some strange reason, I had the urge to give the Japanese finger food another try yesterday evening. And to my surprise, I actually enjoyed sushi and sashimi. It has been a few years since I attended any function at a Japanese restaurant. Despite trying on several occasions before, this was actually the first time that I was able to eat - and enjoy - Japanese food.

I have no explanation for this. I disliked Japanese food before, but now I know that I have no problems with it. It's probably an acquired taste. I have finally conquered my dislike of Japanese food.

Borrowing and paraphrasing Caesar's "Veni Vidi Vici": I came, I saw, I conquered... Japanese food.

1 comment:

JIE said...

Salam Kelana,

HAH !