Search Engine

Followers

Thursday, October 02, 2008

Uniquely Malaysian culture

The days running up to Aidilfitri has certainly been wet. Some places were flooded spoiling the festive mood somewhat. It rained for more than 24 hours beginning Monday morning, followed by intermittent rain on Tuesday afternoon. Fortunately, the weather was kinder on the 1st of Syawal.

I spend my Aidilfitri morning at my mother-in-law's house. Unfortunately my two sons are both down with cold, cough and fever. This has somehow spoilt my sons' moods. In the afternoon, we went to my parents' place. [I'm fortunate as my parents and mother-in-law live in the same town. Their homes are less than 15 minutes apart].

Later in the afternoon, I was visited by Rizal who is one of the staff of Yayasan Ilmuwan, the organisation that I am attached to. Rizal's wife is also from my hometown, and they're spending their Aidilfitri here. [After chatting, I found out that Rizal's wife happened to be my junior from secondary school. Talk about how small the world really is].

A short while later, two old friends of mine from my school days, Chee Hong and Mei Ying, came by for a visit. It is almost a ritual for Chee Hong to visit me during Aidilfitri. He only missed this ritual of his when he was away in Australia for a few years. This, I believe, is the second time Mei Ying came over for Aidilfitri. The first was about a decade ago, if my memory serves me right.
From left: Chee Hong, yours truly, Ammar Qusyairi, my wife and Mei Ying

In any case, visits from family and friends certainly brighten up Aidilfitri. It makes Hari Raya all the more meaningful in spite of our different and diverse background (race, religion, belief, etc.). And I firmly believe that this is what makes Malaysians truly unique.

No comments: