Search Engine

Followers

Saturday, August 09, 2008

Circle of friends

Yesterday I attended a lecture which is compulsory for my PhD studies at Universiti Malaya. After all these years, it certainly feels somewhat odd to be in a lecture theatre attending a lecture as a student. I must say that my mindset needed a bit of adjusting before I felt comfortable. Fortunately, another friend, Maha (from MABIC) is also doing PhD and she, too, has to attend this compulsory lecture (one of many lectures this academic semester). It was easier when you know someone attending the same class.

We didn't know who was giving the lecture. And when the lecturer came in, both of us smiled. The lecturer happened to be Professor Yasmin who is a friend of ours. Most certainly, the presence of a familiar face giving the lecture was reassuring and somewhat awkward at the same time. At one point, Professor Yasmin, upon noticing Maha's presence in the class, actually stopped and asked, "Maha, is that you?"

Needless to say, after the lecture, both of us went to see Professor Yasmin. She was pleased to know that both of us are doing PhD, even though we're both doing it under a different department in the same faculty.

I arrived back at my office around half past six in the afternoon. At the office, I was pleasantly surprised to see three of my friends who work at the organisation I was attached with.

I guess, you could say that the eighth day of August in 2008 certainly brings a smile to my face. It's indeed great to have a circle of friends who you can depend and rely on.

No comments: