Search Engine

Followers

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Quiet festival

Today's Sunday afternoon was spent at Universiti Malaya. Today happens to be the last day of UM Convocation Festival or FESKUM for short. I have been to a few of these festivals in the past. The first, if I recall correctly, was in 1998 when my wife graduated with her bachelor's degree in chemistry. [Note that we were not married yet at that time]. The second one that I attended was when I graduated with a master's degree in philosophy of science, while my wife graduated with a master's degree in science education. This was in 2006.

So, this year, with no actual reason whatsoever, aside from getting the feel of the festivities of the newly-grads, I brought my family to FESKUM 2008. Interestingly, things were very quiet today compared to the FESKUM of yesteryears. It could be that today is the last day. But then again, when I spoke to a couple of my ex-students from last semester (one of whom graduated at this year's convocation), they told me that the air of festivity seems lacking this time around.

I know that most people would want their convocation to be filled with wonderful memories and grandeur. So, when the festival that celebrates the convocation seems "uneventful," perhaps it can disappoint the graduates. Nonetheless, from my observation, that didn't stop them from posing for a lot of photographs at various locations at the university.

Personally, I find the relatively "relaxed" and "quiet" atmosphere at FESKUM rather pleasing. I don't really like crowds, so it's a welcomed change for me. My wife managed to buy a few tudungs while my mother bought a telekung.

As for me, I was contented with bringing my family out for the afternoon. After all, my PhD journey at the university is only beginning. I'll think about savouring the moment when the day I hold the PhD scroll in my hand comes.

No comments: