Search Engine

Followers

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Lights, camera, action!

I spent my whole afternoon at a recording studio in Cheras today. For the past few months, I have been invited to partake in the making of a 13-episode documentary to be aired by the end of the year. The documentary has a medical theme, and is called "Rahsia Anatomi" (translation: Secrets of the Anatomy).

I know I'm not a doctor. I am also not an anatomist. Aside from the medical content, the documentary also allots about three minutes for information on the anatomy from the perspective of Islam. So, that's where I come in.

I have been asked to help out with the script (all 13 episodes of it), which I happily did. And I have also been invited to appear in the documentary, to explain that part which I did. So, today we completed the recording for my part. Six episodes were done, and seven to go (to be done on Monday morning).

I have been involved with television programmes - as script writer, compere/host and guest - both live and recorded, in either Malay or English, since 1997. A decade of involvement with television is quite an experience. But after all these years, I still find talking in front of the camera with all the spotlights on your face unnerving and uncomfortable, even exhausting.

Truth be told, I have been getting a number of invitations to appear on television lately. But I have turned most of them down. It was difficult however for me to turn this one down for two main reasons. First, the person who approached me is someone I highly respect, and second, I find the topics intriguing and engaging.

Whatever it is, deep down I am happy to be involved with this programme. How did I do? Frankly, I don't know. It felt like I was doing television programmes for the first time. But I'll let you judge for yourselves when the programme comes on air. [Check this blog for details on this as they come in].

Television is certainly not for the faint of heart. Given the choice, I'd rather sit in front of the computer, rather in front of the camera.

No comments: